Since putting bees in Ada, Ohio, the bee inspector has not found any bees. This has been due to not looking in the right place. I put a map in with my registration this year. I hope he finds them.
This hive overwintered very well. Hopguard was added on Saturday at which it was apparent that thus hive was strong and all three boxes were brood.
Today I did a walk away split. I removed one box that contained eggs, larvae, and sealed brood.
I also added a box that contained several frames of Honey and the rest was drawn. I hope the split will produce a new queen.
June 9, 2013
New queen spotted. One frame of capped brood. 1/2 frame eggs and leave. Need to reduce down to a 5 frame nuc. Also need to start feeling soon as frames of honey about gone.
Broke down the remaining 3 hives. The hive on the old top bar hive had a large hatch and the queen was apparently waiting for an area to lay in. Hive beetles were everywhere in the hive. I reminded one box and consolidated the brood into one deep and a medium. I added hopguard and closed things up.
The next hive was going well. The bottom box was empty of brood or Honey. This box its now on to. Hop guard was added.
The last hive is struggling. Only one box was left on the hive when I was done. Hopguard was added. Queen is laying, but not well. She is going on 3 years old and needs replaced.
Found that one hive has a large small hive beetle infestation. I was very concerned with the number of beetles found. I would say over a thousand had overwintered with the bees or still had moved in from other gives.
My dad and I killed a hundred or so. I removed a box of Honey that was not covered enough with bees to keep the beetles off the frames. I killed addition beetles as I found them. Installed beetle traps.
I also treated with hopguard in this hive. A couple of bees with DWV were found. Brood appeared to be newly hatched out. Queen its getting of to a allow start.she its 2 years old going into her 3rd year. Will be replacing her later.
Although it was in the mid 40’s today, I felt I needed to make sure the queens in each give were released.
I was able to check each of the 2 hives and confirm that each queen was released. I saw the marked queen, but not the unmarked queen. Thus was ok as I wad just there to check on the release of the queens. I replaced the frames that had been removed too allow room for the queen cages.
All appeared good. Will be adding hopguard soon to all hives. May wait until sealed brood its in the hives starred from packages.
The two hives that overwintered should have the first hatch of brood.
Temps have been low the least two days. I hope the were enough bees to keep the brood warn. Freezing and snow was not something I wanted to see this morning.
Our two packages of bees came in on April 11, 2013. I took my daughter with me to install the packages today, April 14, 2013. Temp was about 52° F with winds 10mph.
Everything went well. Duaghter took care of the queens when i shook the bees in the hives. Got a bonus of one queen being marked. No stings, and this install was the best so far. Very happy with the way things went. Both queens looked nice and healthy. Just have to wait a few days and check to make sure they were released.
Bees are not taking the sugar water as they still have plenty of stores. They are bringing in pollen and nectar. Brood was starting to be capped.
Hives in Findlay. The green hive is an overwintered swarm that I picked up in Lima Ohio last year.
This its a photo of some Honey bee eggs soon after they were laid by the queen.
3-30-2013, there are only 2 hives that made it over winter out of 5. Although loss was high, this is better than the last two winters with 100% loss. Queens are laying, no sealed brood, eggs and one day old larvae present in each of the 2 hives.
All dead hives are from Southern packages of bees. The two surviving hives are 1 Southern package and the swarm captured from Lima last year.