Goldenrod was the last major nectar source this year and has been over for about 2 weeks. Weather has been rainy or cold whenever I had time to check my hives. My dad was able to check them for me just over a week ago and said it appeared that I may have some honey to pull.
Turns out there was about 3 1/2 medium supers worth of honey, goldenrod honey! This was from 2 hives out of 10 full sized hives.
This year was not a good year for honey productions. 30lbs of basswood honey and about 120lbs of goldenrod honey.
Wanted 2006 Mac mini for parts. Would like working as far as no bad parts, but without hard drive.
Update: 10/9/2013 found.
This year has not been a good year for honey. Hives have been slow to build up and 4 out of 5 hives in Findlay went queenless in July. These hives did not appear to have swarmed, but two did have swarm cells present and I used these to requeen the other two hives. One hive had been queenless long enough that there was no open brood and most of the sealed brood had hatched. I believe I caught the hives before they actually swarmed as the bee populations did not appear to be lower than the week before. I did miss the one queenless hive that did not apparently have resources to make a new queen, fortunately I found some swarm cells to help them out. All hives are queen right at this time. This issue in Findlay is most likely the reason for lack of honey production. The hive are located right next to a wildflower field that has been in bloom most of the summer and is currently displaying new flowers.
Flowers in bloom in late August of 2013 at Findlay, Ohio Apiary.
Hives located in my Findlay, Ohio Apiary. Field of flowers in full bloom. However, bees do not seem to be interested in collecting nectar for honey production. Slow year so far, no honey harvested.
When I was out checking progress of my Apiaries, I found a nice/sad surprise. The nice thing was it was a swarm, the sad part is that it is very late in the year and they will need all the help they can get to build up for the winter.
When I was in Arlington today, I went to check on my two hives I have located there. One was a single box that I had started as a split early in the spring and it was in need of another box (very much in need). This hive was packed with bees and they needed more room which was my purpose for this visit.
As I walked to the hive, I have to pass my abandoned 4 foot top bar hive. This top bar hive got me started in beekeeping, but I soon found that I did not like working it much and found favor with the langstroth hive. Anyway, the hive was occupied by bees until last year. The hive had become a home for field mice and once that happened, the bees had moved out and never returned. Wax moths moved in and took care of the wax. The only occupants this year have been mice. Anyway, as I walked by I noticed several bees going in and out of the hive. As I added the boxes I had brought for use on the other hives (one new box each), I kept peeking at the old top bar hive entrance. It was active, and the bees appeared to be bringing in pollen. Well, it was clear that there was a small colony of honey bees that had taken up residence in the hive.
My friend gives me updates on the hive as to the activity he sees, but had not mentioned any from the top bar. The bees had just moved in.
This was my first year entering honey. Although not perfect, I am happy that I was still able to get first premium.
Since putting bees in Ada, Ohio, the bee inspector has not found any bees. This has been due to not looking in the right place. I put a map in with my registration this year. I hope he finds them.
This hive overwintered very well. Hopguard was added on Saturday at which it was apparent that thus hive was strong and all three boxes were brood.
Today I did a walk away split. I removed one box that contained eggs, larvae, and sealed brood.
I also added a box that contained several frames of Honey and the rest was drawn. I hope the split will produce a new queen.
June 9, 2013
New queen spotted. One frame of capped brood. 1/2 frame eggs and leave. Need to reduce down to a 5 frame nuc. Also need to start feeling soon as frames of honey about gone.
Broke down the remaining 3 hives. The hive on the old top bar hive had a large hatch and the queen was apparently waiting for an area to lay in. Hive beetles were everywhere in the hive. I reminded one box and consolidated the brood into one deep and a medium. I added hopguard and closed things up.
The next hive was going well. The bottom box was empty of brood or Honey. This box its now on to. Hop guard was added.
The last hive is struggling. Only one box was left on the hive when I was done. Hopguard was added. Queen is laying, but not well. She is going on 3 years old and needs replaced.